Workshop: "Say More About That..."
Skillful Speech for Addressing Problematic Race Talk
Workshop Description: This workshop will address race and related beliefs by loosening racialized certainties, allowing alternative ways of seeing and knowing, and challenging participants to consider antiracist perspectives. It will also provide understanding and practice in skillful speech as a tool for unbinding racial certainty, deflecting and re-channeling hostile or defensive speech, and deepening reflective, critical thinking. The workshop will use readings, videos, practice and draw from the book How Minds Change by David McRaney.
● Learn and practice facilitating communication skills including critical analysis skills of interrogation, relationship formation, and problem analysis
● Introduce participants to Sleight of Mouth patterns and their application to race-related communication and statement analysis.
● Identify SOMP patterns and distinguish one from another
● Use each SOMP pattern in addressing a problematic race-related statement
● Use SOMP patterns as critical tools to explore the meaning a race-related statement has for the speaker
● Use SOMP patterns to enable the speaker to have greater awareness of the belief underlying his/her statement
● Use SOMP patterns to enable the speaker of race-related statements to have greater comprehension of how the statement is problematic
Dates: Session 1: Jan. 15, 22 & 29 (Mondays) from 7:30-10:30pm CST OR
Session 2: April 4, 11 & 18 (Thursdays) from 7:30-10:30pm CST
*Please note: You can apply for session 1 or session 2. Both session sets will be the same workshop.
Cost: $190, you can pay online directly below or you can send a check to (ASDIC ) PO Box 984, Prior Lake, MN 55372. Please email us to confirm that your check is in the mail - email@example.com
Additional Information: No one is turned away for lack of funds. The actual cost of the workshop is $190*, with option to pay-as-able. Sliding scale amounts are also available. If you need a reduced fee or an extended payment plan, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org